of families satisfied
Summer Learning Program
The KidsBridge Summer Learning Program provides rising kindergartners who have not yet had a high-quality early learning experience with a six-week full-day program, to help them learn the norms and routines of school. The program will be offered free of charge to students who are registered for Kindergarten in Providence Public Schools for the upcoming school year.
KidsBridge participants attend school for six hours per day, five days per week and adjust to the routines and procedures of kindergarten to help them transition into school. The program is fun and engaging and children learn through play! Parents/family members are also supported through ongoing parent engagement events and workshops.
The program is taught by certified, experienced teachers with support from Providence’s high school workforce and trained community volunteers. See our results here.
To be eligible for this program, your student must be a resident of Providence and registered for Kindergarten in the upcoming fall at a Providence School. Priority is given to students registered at our focus schools and those who have not attended preschool.
Parents must commit to participating and documenting attendance every week with their child and must participate in a weekly conference with program teachers and staff.
Registration for the summer of 2022 is now open! Please click on the links to submit your registration electronically. You may also download the form and return it to our office in person or by mail. 65 Pavilion Avenue. Providence, RI 02905.
Selection is by lottery through the Rhode Island Department of Education. Therefore, students must also be registered in the EnrollRI system. If you pre-register by completing online or paper form, and give us permission to do so, we will take care of the EnrollRI registration for you.
We anticipate that the KidsBridge program will be in-person this summer! If you have any questions about our summer learning program or student eligibility, please contact us here!
The KidsBridge Summer Learning Program is a research-based summer kindergarten readiness program that focuses on the social-emotional needs of students and their families as they transition to kindergarten.
- 67% of our students showed growth in overall Early Literacy Scores; We observed significant growth in student’s understanding of norms and routines of school.
- All of our students were clear on school-wide expectations for transitions and classroom behaviors by the end of the six week program.
- Our initially timid students came out of their shell and were actively engaged in activities.
- Parents who had concerns about their child’s readiness for school were impressed by how ready they were by the end of the summer.
- 100% of students saw growth in at least one social-emotional domain.
Program Schedule and Details
KidsBridge will be held at two schools: Alfred Lima Elementary, 222 Daboll Street and Robert L. Bailey IV Elementary School, 65 Gordon Avenue.
Program Dates: July 11, 2022-August 19, 2022.
Program Times: Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. It is the expectation that students are in school, on-time, every day, all day. Program drop off is between 8:20-8:30 a.m. Program Pick up is between 2:20-2:30 pm.
- August 8th will be an asynchronous (distance learning)
- August 19th is our end-of-summer celebration. The program will be held from 8:30-10:30 and an adult must stay with the child for the entire program.
Our daily schedule:
8:20-8:30 Arrive in Classroom
9:00-9:20 Transition: Clean-up, Bathrooms
9:20-11:45 Standards-Aligned Play Centers
11:45-12:00 Transition: Clean-up, Bathrooms
12:30-1:00 Outdoor Play Activities
1:00-1:20 Transition: Clean-up, Bathrooms
2:15-2:30 Transition to dismissal